Gynecomastia is a technical term for abnormally large breasts on men. Gynecomastia affects an estimated 40 to 60 percent of men. It may affect only one breast or both. The condition is relatively common in adolescent boys, and approximately 90% of the time, symptoms disappear in a matter of months, or, as adolescence wanes, a few years later. However, the remaining 10% of adolescent boys grow up with permanent fat and or glandular tissue in the breast area.This condition can be caused by a number of reasons including puberty, steroid abuse, obesity
tumors, genetic disorders, chronic liver disease, side effects of many medications, castration,
Klinefelter Syndrome, Gilbert’s Syndrome, aging.
In cases of obesity, weight loss can alter the gynecomastic condition, but for many it will not eliminate it. For all other causes, surgery is the only known physical remedy.